We have a brand new favorite dinner at our house - Quinoa Mac & Cheese!
My sister told me about quinoa a couple of years ago and we've used it
off and on since then, but when I heard Chef Brad talk about Grain Fusion Cooking
a couple of months ago, I decided to make a conscious effort to add in grains in
at least half of our meals during the week.
I also have another new favorite that goes perfectly with the Quinoa Mac & Cheese
Seriously, have you tried it?
It's addicting and delicious and gives the perfect punch to any meal.
My husband introduced to me a few weeks ago and now I put it on everything.
I had seen it on the table at restaurants for years, but I had never tried it myself.
I'm so glad I did!
So it seemed only logical to add Cholula to the quinoa mac & cheese.
Of course, I don't put it on top of the entire pan because then the kids wouldn't
touch it with a 10 foot pole, but you can bet I douse my piece with it.
Since quinoa doesn't have much a flavor on it's own,
as Isabella says, "I love quinoa because it tastes like nothing!!!",
it's great to serve with hot sauce or salsa because it punches it up and enhances
the flavors of the dish and makes it easier to add in grains to your favorite dishes.
1 ½ cups Quinoa
Veggies (we love broccoli, but add whatever your family loves)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 cup skim milk
2 cups shredded cheese
2 cups corn flakes, crushed
2 T. butter, melted
Cholula or salsa, optional
- Sautee the veggies and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook quinoa in 3 cups of chicken broth. I cook mine in my rice cooker.
- Whisk the eggs and milk in a large bowl.
- Fold in quinoa, veggies, cheese, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Mix together the crushed corn flakes and melted butter and sprinkle on top of the quinoa mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and top with Cholula!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
I made a recipe card for you to print off for quick reference.