Sandwiches are a daily staple at our house. The kids love them for lunch,
and now that JT and Isabella are older, they can make their own sandwiches.
However, it's get kind of boring having the same old PB and J everyday, and
Isabella suddenly decided she doesn't like jelly or jam anymore, I had to
be creative and think of another variation on the typical sandwich that she
would enjoy eating while she home during summer vacation.
Of course we start with Oroweat® breads. The kids (and my husband) like the Country
Potato and I like any of the Oroweat® Whole Grains Sliced breads. I like that they have
2 to 5 grams of fiber per slice, zero grams of Trans Fat, no high fructose corn syrup,
and are cholesterol free. Plus, I think they taste delicious! The 12 Grain Bread has 8 grams
of protein per 2 slices and I am always looking on ways to sneak protein into Isabella's
diet because she is my carb lover.
So, to liven up her regular old peanut butter and honey sandwich, I turned to Elvis and
made an updated (and healthier) version of his favorite Fried Peanut Butter and Banana
sandwich. I melded Elvis's favorite with Isabella's love of peanut butter and honey
and made the Open Faced Toasted Peanut Butter and Honey Banana sandwich.
The crisp from the toastiness of the Oroweat® 12 Grain Bread pairs well with the soft
bananas. The sweetness from the honey drizzled over the top gives it an excellent flavor.
The thing is, Isabella doesn't like bananas. However, she loves this sandwich. It must
be the addition of the honey and the warm, toasty bread, that makes her forget she's
eating one of her least favorite foods. Then, she gets a little potassium, a serving of fruit,
and the protein from the 12 Grain bread and the peanut butter. Perfect!
Do you have an original sandwich that you think is amazing? Then you should enter the
Oroweat® 2016 America's Better Sandwich Contest! The sandwich genius that fills the
Oroweat® Bread up with the most delicious fillings could win a grand prize of $25,000!
This year’s contest includes five (5) exciting sandwich categories including:
- “Open-Faced Artistry (sandwiches are works of art for the world to see, and these snacks and meals should announce their nutritious ingredients—like bright beets or tasty tuna— sans second slice);
- “Breakfast in Bread” (these sandwiches, featuring nutrient rich breakfast favorites like eggs and yogurt, invoke images of cozy mornings in bed or boisterous brunches with friends);
- “Creative Classics” (nutritious spins on sandwich creations that have stood the test of time, such as grandma’s club sandwich, BLT or other old-time favorites);
- “Fueling Good” (these sandwiches should incorporate ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron)
- “State Favorites” (whether it’s a well-known sandwich in the state you reside, or a must-have local dish that can transition into a sandwich, celebrate your state pride by re-creating these state favorites with better-for-you ingredients)
The sandwich in each of these categories with the highest score will win a $5,000
You can enter the Oroweat® 2016 America's Better Sandwich Contest from now until
August 21st and online consumer voting will take place September 26th-October 23rd.
The winners will be announced on National Sandwich Day - November 3rd!
So, if you've got a killer sandwich recipe, then grab some Oroweat® Bread or Sandwich
Thin Rolls and enter the Oroweat® 2016 America's Better Sandwich Contest for a chance
at the $25,000 grand prize!
I'm giving away an Oroweat® Bread Prize pack to get you on your way to winning
that $25,000 prize and it includes:
- Six coupons, each valid for $5.00 off the purchase of any Oroweat® Whole Grain Sliced Bread of choice
- Six coupons, each valid for $4.00 off the purchase of any Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls of choice
- $25 Visa gift card to use towards ingredients for their favorite sandwiches
Use the Rafflecopter widget below to enter and good luck!